I got this idea when someone posted corndog muffins in my LJ bento community last week, which were basically just cut-up hotdog pieces mixed in with cornbread batter. I thought it was an interesting idea but a boring execution, so here’s my take:
- Mix together 2 8.5 oz. boxes of instant cornbread mixture (Jiffy, etc.) with 2 eggs, 1 1/2 cups of milk, and about a cup of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Fill cupcake/muffin tins about 2/3 of the way full of batter (this yielded 18 muffins for me).
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 8 minutes, then remove.
- Stick any kind of pre-cooked cocktail sausage you want (and almost all cocktail sausages are sold pre-cooked) in the middle of each half-baked muffin, upright.
- Sprinkle a little more cheddar cheese on top, then return to the oven for another 8 minutes.
I’ve also got:
- A few extra sausages (spicy chicken).
- Cherry tomatoes.
- A pear.
- Some kind of Asian peanut candy. Hooray for week-after-Lunar-New-Year sales at 99 Ranch!
p.s. I am aware that these muffins have a slightly perverted look to them, if you have the twisted relationship to both food and sex that typifies Americans. It doesn’t need to be pointed out, thanks.