I got my bento mojo back! And I seem to have an orange-and-blue theme here. Also this is the new box I bought on Saturday.
Left to right:
- Tamagoyaki, a Japanese “rolled” omelette. This is my first attemt and I’m pleasantly surprised at the result. Also, a non-stick loaf pan will work just fine if you don’t have a rectangular omelette pan — kind of an item that only has one use. I added a teaspoon of soy sauce and a pinch of sugar to the eggs.
- Sweet corn croquettes.
- Chive and onion cream cheese.
- Tobiko, flying fish roe. I’m happy to report that freezing tobiko alters neither the taste nor the delightful little *pop!* texture. Mom and Jamie and I used to lick our fingers and pick up every tiny egg whenever we had sushi that was coated in tobiko, because we loved the way the eggs popped between our teeth. A while back I asked for non-sushi uses for tobiko in my LJ bento community and got some good ones; but in the end decided to just throw them on a cracker with some cream cheese.
- Roasted peas.
- Sidecar (also new) has some green onion crackers.
- Instant miso soup, which I got 2 10-packs for $5 at Marina Foods. That’s like 25 cents a bowl! And the concentrate is a paste, not a powder, so it’s fresher-tasting. Also they must use some kind of astronaut technology to dehydrate the add-ins; I had a bowl of the seaweed miso (they’re variety packs) yesterday, and from the texture you’d never know it had been dried.
- And finally, we have a variety of Pocky.